This is definitely one of my new favorite recipes. I made it today for my 5-year old daughter’s birthday instead of the usual angel food cake, since this recipe doesn’t use any flour (I have a thing about white flour, and you really can’t make a decent angel food cake with whole wheat flour!) Next time I think I’ll try it with honey instead of the sugar, too – I’ll keep you posted!

Short Schaumtorte (have all ingredients at room temperature)
¾ cup egg whites (about 6)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form, then add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue holds very stiff peaks.
Pour into 9-inch springform pan prepared by lining the bottom with parchment paper with greasing and flouring the sides. Smooth the top.

Bake for 2 hours, then turn off the oven and let the meringue cool in the oven.
Slide a slim knife around the meringue to detach it from the pan, then invert and remove the parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate.

To serve, uncover and top with strawberries, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce.