Wednesday, May 4, 2011

You CAN color brown eggs!

I always thought brown eggs (like the ones our hens lay) couldn't be colored because they were too dark for the dye to show up -  but lo and behold, I was wrong! Look what we made last week:
Yellow didn't really work (I think those are those nasty puce ones) but I love the greens and blues and purples!

Next time I'd like to try using natural dyes (these were the cheap Paas colors we had left over from last year). The kids used rubber bands (they came with the Paas kit) and white crayons to do the letters and stripes. Maybe next year we'll get fancy and do more than one color on each egg (we were in a hurry this time).

I can't tell you how excited I am about this - it always frustrated me to go out and buy white eggs, when we generally have at least a couple dozen brown ones just sitting in the fridge!

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment