Thursday, March 22, 2012

Whole Wheat Sourdough Raisin (or Craisin) Bread

For a special treat, I'll serve this with breakfast (to rave reviews from the kiddos). Toasted and spread with some fresh butter, it sets a sweet tone for the rest of the day.

For the record, I always make this with dried cranberries (craisins) instead of raisins; I just like them better!

Whole Wheat Sourdough Raisin (Craisin) Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour (not sprouted! Read why not here)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter or lard
1/4 cup honey
2 cups sourdough starter
Mix until dough forms a ball (I use my trusty Kitchen Aid stand mixer). Add about a half cup of raisins and/or dried cranberries and mix until well incorporated. Place in your greased bread pan and let rise until doubled (about 4 hours). Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

I don't use cinnamon in this recipe because cinnamon is slightly anti-biotic, and inhibits the natural yeasts from making it rise properly.

This post is part of Fight Back Friday and Make Your Own! Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment