Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Perfect Soup

I think I may have discovered the perfect soup. It fits all of my criteria, and more:

1) it's made almost exclusively of things I raise myself (no, here in Wisconsin I can't make my own salt)

2) because of #1, I know it's free of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, so it's good for us

3) it's full of stuff from the garden, so I know my kids have eaten plenty of veggies for the day

4) the home-raised pastured chicken stock is great for their immune system

5) the kids love it (well, three out of five . . .)

6) and it's helping me lose weight! Bonus!

This is a very simple "throw-in-what-you-have" soup. I try to include leafy greens, carrots, fresh herbs, and potatoes (and of course that nutrient-dense chicken stock!) to get all the vitamins I can into every bowl full.

Our Daily Soup
2 quarts chicken stock
4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 bunch chard or other greens, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley (or about a tablespoon dried)
1 onion, chopped (or a bunch of chives, snipped)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt

Boil all together until potatoes are soft, then either serve as is (for a more broth-y soup, which is how my 9yo daughter prefers it) or puree it with a stick blender for more of a chowder-y consistency (which is how the rest of us like it). Season to taste and serve (with a little shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top for good measure!)

We've been having this almost every day for lunch lately, and it really is helping me lose weight, without worrying about missing out on valuable nutrients my body needs. I really love this soup!




This post is part of Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

No comments:

Post a Comment