Friday, March 28, 2014

Healthy Homemade Chocolate Bars (or hearts, or chips, or . . .)


Every once in a while I get a hankering for some chocolate (who doesn't?) Instead of running to the grocery store and buying something made with soy, refined sugar, emulsifiers, and who knows what else, I whip some of this up in my double-boiler at home. It's even safe for my friends who can't have dairy, eggs, or gluten. Pure and simple goodness!

Or if you want something a little more fancy, you can add in any number of extras - almonds, coconut flakes, mint swirls, dried cranberries - whatever floats your boat!

Healthy Homemade Chocolate
1/2 cup coconut oil (I prefer this brand) (butter also works great)
1/3 cup honey (more or less, depending on how dark you like your chocolate) (maple syrup is good, too)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I prefer this brand)
dash sea salt
Melt all together gently in a double boiler, stirring very well (or it will separate, leaving all of the honey on the bottom and VERY bitter chocolate on the top! I know this from sad experience! ) Pour into molds and cool (I usually put mine in the freezer because I'm impatient and I want to eat some right away!) 

One great thing about this recipe is that if you mess this up, you can just re-melt it and try again - add more honey, stir it up better if it separates, etc.

This batch makes about the same amount as five 1.55-oz candy bars. 

Because they don't have any added stabilizers, these chocolates will melt at about 76 degrees (the temperature your coconut oil melts), so you may want to store these in the refrigerator.

2 comments: