Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Sourdough Bread

Now that the garden is done (phew! is anyone else completely exhausted for the entire month of September?) I've had more time to play around in the kitchen. We are blissfully overrun with pumpkins from our garden this year, so I was browsing the internet for a sourdough pumpkin sweet bread. I didn't have any luck (if you know of a good one, please let me know!) but it did get me thinking, and just for kicks I decided to try swapping out pumpkin for the potato in my potato sourdough bread recipe.

It worked beautifully - it's not anything like the pumpkin bread you see at bake sales; it's really more like a slightly orange sandwich loaf. You can barely taste the pumpkin. But it rises beautifully and tastes delicious (as you can see, more than half of it was gone before I got a chance to take a picture!)
I am going to continue trying to find a sourdough pumpkin sweet bread, but for now we're really enjoying this recipe (especially smothered with pumpkin spice honey butter. Mmmm . . .)

3 comments:

  1. Maybe tweak a sourdough muffin recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a genius, Bethany - I googled "sourdough pumpkin muffins" and the first site listed was Katy over at Kitchen Stewardship (I love her blog!) I will be trying this recipe tomorrow (although I think I'll substitute maple syrup for the honey)
      http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/03/10/sourdough-recipes-galore-variations-on-sourdough-muffins/

      Delete
  2. Hey! just a little tip from baker to baker, id go check out sourdoughs international for some bada** sourdough starter. i got the san francisco and OMG way good, came out great.

    ReplyDelete