Friday, June 3, 2011

Mac N Cheese - without the Mac!

This is what we're having for supper tonight - a meal that's evolved so far as to no longer have its original defining ingredient! But we love it, and hope you will too.
This dish started out as plain old mac n cheese, with some peas thrown in to add a little vegetables ('cause you're supposed to eat your vegetables, you know!) Eventually I made it a meal by adding some ham. Then I started making it from scratch, using homemade cheese sauce. And finally, now that I know better, I've started leaving out the pasta entirely (although we still call it Mac n Cheese).
It's what I call a "toss in some of this" recipe - throw in some leftover peas, some leftover ham (pastured, of course), and make a cheese sauce; then mix it all together and warm it up. Couldn't be simpler (or faster - I often fall back on this when I forgot to get meat out of the freezer for supper!)

(I know, it doesn't look like much - but it's comfort food - it's not supposed to look good!)

This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

1 comment:

  1. I think it will be great with a nice salad.

    ReplyDelete