Friday, June 10, 2011

Homemade Fish Tacos

Being a Wisconsin girl, I didn't grow up eating much seafood, so I don't really know many ways to prepare it (make that 2 - fish chowder and the ubiquitous beer-battered fish fry). Then last fall, my husband and I went on a business trip to San Diego. Spurred on by two high school friends who now live in California, I decided to be brave and try two new fish dishes - sushi (YUM!!!) and fish tacos. Now, one of those friends is married to a marine biologist, so he knew where to get good seafood, and he recommended Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill (at the time, I didn't realize that it's actually pretty famous - it's been featured on the Food Network, etc.) They didn't serve sushi, but they did have fish tacos, so that's what I tried first.
It was nothing like what I expected (think Taco Bell but with fish). It was fresh, it was light, it was wonderful. I was hooked.
Of course, our week in San Diego was soon over, and we were back in Wisconsin, where few people have even heard of fish tacos, much less knew where to get one. So I set out to make my own. In my own typical fashion, I found a recipe in a cookbook (The Everything Cast Iron Cookbook - which I highly recommend!) and scoured the internet until I found about three likely-looking recipes, combined them to my taste, and started cooking. Here is the tasty result:

Fish Tacos

Corn tortillas
One pound firm white fish fillets (perch, tilapia, etc.)
Cabbage (or lettuce), tomatoes, onions, cheese, avacados (or whatever other toppings you choose)
White sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup yogurt
1 tsp lime juice
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp dill
½ tsp chili powder

Prepare toppings, mix together the white sauce, and warm the tortillas. Rinse fish and pat dry. Place a skillet (cast iron works well) over medium-high heat. Once it is heated, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and swirl to coat. Add the fillets and cook for about 3 minutes (more or less depending on the thickness of your fish). Flip the fish and cook for another 3 minutes (you should see the fish change from translucent to opaque).
Chop the fish into 1 inch strips and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Serve in tortillas with toppings.

(This will definitely be made frequently in our house - even the kids liked it!)

This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

1 comment:

  1. These sound so great! Very similar to how I make them (although I'll admit to sometimes using beer battered fish). Homemade pico de gallo, guacamole and cilantroey slaw are what we usually put on top - all versions of your suggested toppings. So glad your kids like them! (50% of mine do. ;)

    ReplyDelete