Friday, April 19, 2019

The Best Laid Plans . . .

In Literature class recently the kids and I were reading poems by Robert Burns, and one of the selections was "To a Mouse." While the kids loved his description of the "wee, sleekit, cowran, tim'rous beastie" (and laughed at my terrible Scottish accent while I read to them), I was sighing in commiseration with the line, "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men/Gang aft agley,/An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,/For promis'd joy!"

It seems that all my careful planning back in January might turn out to be a bigger mess than that mouse's nest. April 15th was suppsed to be my first round of putting transplants out in the garden, but this is what the broccoli bed looked like yesterday afternoon:
garden bed layout
Obviously, the ground is not warm enough to plant in - even for a cool-weather tolerant plant like broccoli. And the beds, though well mulched with leaves over the winter, need a little TLC before they're ready for the summer.

The other problem was that the garden I laid out on paper, with carefully spaced gridlines and exact spacing for each plant, didn't exactly line up with the more organic reality outside. For example, here's a picture of my asparagus bed (with a wire tunnel over it to keep the chickens out of it) and the wood-bordered raised garlic bed next to it (there's fence wire on top of the garlic bed - also to keep the chickens from digging - and the logs on top of the bed are to keep the fencing down)
early spring garden design
The strings show where my carefully planned gridlines say my beds and paths should be - unfortunately, that puts a path straight through my garlic plants, and the asparagus row is completely katywampus to where the strings say it really ought to be.

So there was a little re-thinking to be done. Thankfully, I had plenty of time to stand around and contemplate garden layouts while I was boiling down my last batch of maple syrup, and I think I've figured out a way to make it work. Instead of four three-foot garden beds in the middle of the garden, with two-foot beds along the fences, I have three beds in the center of the original size with a two-foot bed on either side, plus the original fence-edged beds. So I actually ended up with an extra, smaller bed and one slightly shrunken bed - even better than my original plan!

We'll see how this plan holds up to reality as the summer unfolds . . .

2 comments:

  1. Katywampus .. I love it. ;-) Um, this sounds a lot like me. My husband asks me" how does this happen?" We see tulips popping up outside the area I marked for the tulips. ;-)
    How is your garlic doing? Mine still has not woke up.

    Yes, the animals at Como where enjoying outside time. It was a fun day at the zoo for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garlic is coming up great! It seems like it comes up a tiny bit ahead of the daffodils (but the chives have it beat - they're about 6" high already).

    ReplyDelete