Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Story Behind Ruth's Homemade

Have you ever read about the health benefits of some herb and thought, "I need to get a lotion with THAT in it!" Or maybe it was trying to find a bar of soap without certain things in it. That was me. The more research I did, the more I wanted products that apparently weren't available. It's getting easier now to find "natural" health and beauty products, but somehow I could never find exactly what I wanted. My kids were little at the time, and I wanted to be sure that anything I put on their skin was also safe for them to put in their mouths (because they would!)

So, since I couldn't find the products I wanted, I decided to see if I could make them myself. First I learned how to make soap (I wrote a post about that here). I experimented with different oils (coconut oil, castor oil - even lard and tallow. In case you were wondering, soap made from home-rendered tallow makes you smell like beef. Your dog will love you!) and I tried different scents - I didn't want to use fragrance oils, which did nothing but smell, and were made of chemicals I wasn't sure I was comfortable with. So I moved to essential oils, only to find that it takes a lot of essential oil to make scented bar soap, and it's questionable if it retains the oil's medicinal qualities, due to the high heat of the saponification process). I even tried different fun shaped molds. Eventually, though, I realized that what I really wanted was just a plain, unscented soap with as few ingredients as possible - my Nothing But Clean bar.

Next came shampoo bars. I'd read about the hormone-disrupting effects of the chemicals in most shampoos, and I knew I needed to keep those off of me and my kids. So I began to experiment. It took a lot of trial and error (no, plain castile soap does not work well for cleaning your hair!) but eventually I found something that would work for my straight, oily hair. Best of all, my husband likes it! He even complains if I use "regular" shampoo - he hates the overpowering scents.

My next product came from necessity. I get cold sores when I'm under a lot of stress, and I read in The Handbook of Vintage Remedies that lemon balm can heal and prevent cold sores. So I found a simple recipe for lip balm and added lemon balm essential oil. It worked! I rarely get cold sores anymore, and when I do it's usually because I haven't been using my lip balm recently.
From that basic recipe, I also made peppermint lip balm. Peppermint is great for clearing your sinuses when you have a cold (think the menthol in cough drops) as well as for easing headaches. Plus it just smells yummy!

The next product was more serendipitous - I read somewhere, just randomly clicking through herbalism websites on the internet, that plantain (the herb, not the fruit that looks like a banana) was helpful for stopping the itch of mosquito bites. It grows like crazy in my yard (most people actually call it a weed), so it was easy enough to pick it, chew it up, and press it onto a mosquito bite or bee sting. But what about when we were travelling, and I didn't know where I could find some; or if I found some, if it had been sprayed with something I didn't want in my mouth? So I started making plantain salve from the "weeds" growing in my yard. I mixed coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil infused with dried plantain leaves - basically the same recipe I'd used for the lip balm, but this time using plantain. It worked like a charm, and I soon had people requesting some for their families. To my surprise, it worked for more than just bug bites. Friends reported that it helped with a variety of skin problems, from eczema and hives to just plain dry winter skin. It's become my best selling product.

Another product that came directly from one of my family's needs was wound salve. With five active kids in the house, this is the one we use most often. I studied which herbs had the best antiseptic effects, such as tea tree, lavender, calendula, and chickweed, as well as plantain for its soothing qualities, and blended these together. It's been our go-to for minor cuts and scrapes for years.

I first found out about lotion bars when browsing Pinterest one day. I liked the idea of a non-goopy way to keep my skin soft in the winter (Wisconsin winters can be brutal for your hands) without unpronounceable chemicals. I tried it, and it worked great - now I use one every night before I go to sleep (and usually my husband does, too; his hard-working hands need some TLC!)
When friends and family started asking about my soaps and lotions, I realized that maybe I could make a business out of my hobby. Not everyone had the time or inclination to make things themselves - I know that when I started out, I would rather have just bought the products I ended up making. I could save them the time it took me to research and find the recipes I'd gathered, as well as the time preparing the actual products.

So Ruth's Homemade was born. All of the products I sell are made from food-safe ingredients, and are safe for children and pets. I use as few ingredients as possible - and list them all clearly on the label - so people with allergies and sensitivities don't have to worry about what might be hiding in their products.

Since the whole company is just me, I stick to what I know - which unfortunately is not computers! So I haven't set up an official online store - just a simple website listing my products and my email address (the links above are all to that website); if you would like to purchase something, email me your list and I'll happily send it to you. I've figured out how to do Paypal, or I'll also accept a good old fashioned check.

As you may have noticed, I love to try new things, so I enjoy making custom orders - let me know what you'd like, and I'll see what I can do!

So that's the story behind my little brand - just a mom making soaps and salves for her family, and now sharing what I've learned with you. You can be sure that I stand behind every product - because I use them all myself.

2 comments:

  1. Yippee Ruth.. to one little brand to the other.. let us cheer each other on.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete